Monday, March 10, 2014

Read Around the Room Activity For Your Genius Graphers

Hello to all of our favorite follower readers! Hope you are having a splendid Monday so far!

Did you have a chance to check out the FREE graphing activity from my Graphing Activities post? If you haven't had a chance, check it out. My kiddos are loving completing this activity during our RTI time.

Since we are focusing on graphs during math, I have noticed that some of my kiddos STILL struggle with reading graphs (even after reading graphs for the past week) and answering questions to graphs. I decided to do this "Read Around the Room Activity" with my students.

 

I don't know about you but I try to get my students up and moving around every chance I can get. Therefore, I cut the different graph questions apart and taped them around the room (I laminated them as well so they would keep for later use). I try to get this done before the students come into the classroom in the morning so it's like a scavenger hunt and a surprise. However, sometimes time doesn't allow that to happen so they sometimes watch me tape them up. This keeps it from being a true "scavenger hunt activity". But a teacher has to do what she has to do.

Anyways, I have my students work on this independently without talking first. I like to put a timer on and make a challenge for them to try to get it done within 15 minutes. Some of my stragglers will try to take as long as they can to get this done, so this helps with time management. Once the timer goes off or they finish, they meet back at the floor (that is where I give instructions or is my "teaching area"). Then they get with a partner and go over the answers with each other. If they don't have the same answers, then they circle the answers they don't have the same on.

After checking, they have to move around the room together and redo the problems they didn't get done correctly. This helps to reinforce peer help and gets the students communicating. I like to challenge my students to work with someone new that they haven't worked with recently.

I like to either go over the problems with them after they are done with the whole activity so I can answer any questions they had.

You can grab the above FREE Genius Graphers activity by clicking on the link. (I would love any ratings you may have on my TpT store by clicking here.)

Some other ways to incorporate this activity into your classroom would be to use it as a scoot or you could also use it like Amy's snowball fight activity (Click here for more information on this idea). I thought about also putting this in my RTI centers later on in the year as well as a review of graphs before we take the wonderful MAP test.

Hope you and your students enjoy the graphing activities! What are some suggestions you have on how to incorporate graphing into a classroom? I would love any suggestions you may have!

Happy Monday!







P.S. Don't forget to check out my Luck'y Literacy Centers just in time for St. Patrick's Day. Grab it now before time runs out!

8 comments:

  1. Love this graphing freebie! I did notice that question #23 is missing one important word "many". Guess it should read How Many People Voted Altogether. Just caught my eye. Thanks for such a great activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Melanie for finding that! :) I will make sure to get that fixed! Hope your kiddos enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good activity for students to read around the room. This will enhance the skills of students also they will able to read different words so you can learn from this site too much so be positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the very good task pertaining to individuals you just read throughout the place. This will likely increase the knowledge involving individuals in addition they may capable to go through distinct words and phrases so that you can learn from http://www.endocrinologyfellowship.com/endocrinology-fellowship-personal-statement-sample/ excessive consequently be positive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the fact students love to do new activities so graphing activity is also best thing for them. Students accepts challenges in the classroom so this activity will create interest fro them. https://www.nursingcapstone.net/how-to-formulate-a-picot-research-question/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great fact you have describe about the students reading activities around the room. Also here you provided good graphics activity and software for students. By reading this informative information and using this software students should helpful at the same time. Also visit this site to get medical school personal statement services. Thanks for sharing helpful information.

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments!

5-Star Blogger